POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : One step closer to Permutation City : Re: One step closer to Permutation City Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:18:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: One step closer to Permutation City
From: Darren New
Date: 15 Dec 2009 13:30:37
Message: <4b27d5cd$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>> https://console.aws.amazon.com/ec2/help/spotrequests.html
>>
>> I always thought that was a very realistic way of working things.
>
> Permutation City?

Yep. In case my late-night comment was confusing (and it was), I meant I
thought Permutation City's fictional depiction of spot prices for
computation sounded very realistic, and here we are a few years later doing
just that.

> This is an interesting move. As I understand it, an Amazon "instance" is
> like a virtual machine. So starting and stopping one is quite a lot of
> work.

It takes a couple of minutes to do so, yes.

> Not sure what you'd use a VM that could shut down at any random
> second for...

Hook it to a persistent disk and render an animation? Restart from where you
left off?  If each frame only takes a minute or two and you are rendering a
feature-length animation...

Extra responsiveness to read-mostly queries as long as it's cheap enough?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)