POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : I want a working POV-Ray for Intel Macs : Re: I want a working POV-Ray for Intel Macs Server Time
1 May 2024 14:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I want a working POV-Ray for Intel Macs
From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 14 Dec 2009 23:52:25
Message: <4b271609@news.povray.org>
Sterling Garwood wrote:
> "KEBman" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>> Yes, that's what I want. I think it's lame to blame it on malfunctioning PowerPC
>> emulator when you should have made the binary work on both PowerPC and Intel
> etc .... <snip>
>
> I filed a bug report with Apple and they actually sent me the needed fixes in
> PovRay code ... its a PovRay issue -- who can get the source code fixed???

I know, I finally received them a few weeks ago, too. And to clarify, they
send you workarounds for the bugs in the PowerPC emulator, not for any bugs
in POV-Ray. The claim the responsible Apple engineer makes is this:

"The root cause of the problem is NOT a bug in Rosetta. The translator is
behaving exactly as it was designed. The problem is that the translator was
never intended to completely emulate a PowerPC processor. There are some
behaviors that simply can't be translated properly."

So their PowerPC emulator is no PowerPC emulator after all. His workaround
is actually inserting a few calls to the Carbon multithreading API that are
trapped by Rosetta and which allow the Rosetta PowerPC emulator to pick up a
thread state change. This call is not needed on a real PowerPC system, which
is in turn what POV-Ray was designed for. Hence, his excuse is rather funny
... and to shorten it he is saying "The Rosetta PowerPC emulator is not
designed to emulate a PowerPC processor."

	Thorsten, POV-Team

PS: The issue of there being no POV-Ray update yet simply has to do with the
fact that I will only have time during my Christmas vacation for this.