POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interested in 16-bit height field functions? : Re: Interested in 16-bit height field functions? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:23:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Interested in 16-bit height field functions?
From: stbenge
Date: 14 Dec 2009 14:55:17
Message: <4b269825@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> "stbenge" <UN### [at] hotmailcom> schreef in bericht
>> World Machine and TerraBrush use 16-bit tgas. In the version of WM I have,
>> the option for png output is not supported yet. My attempts to convert a
>> 16-bit tga to a png have not been successful; the data is still encoded
>> with red and green colors, thus resulting in a high frequency mess. This
>> probably wouldn't be true if I converted it using POV, but it's faster to
>> use IrfanView :)
>
> WM2, which is also free (with the usual limitations) exports 16bit png
> heightfields. My latest landcape here is precisely that.

I'll have to download that. When trying to stitch pieces of 512x512
height fields together, are there still visible seams when using erosion?

> I am certainly very much interested in your functions, Sam  :-)

Really, I've got only two functions so far: the angle map and the edge
map. The edge map is just a hack from a previous proximity pattern.

The red/green importing functions are just useless novelties. I was
learning how to decode/encode 16-bit data for another project, which, in
the end, won't need that kind of functionality anyway.

Hopefully the angle map can be used to displace pigments from from an
isosurfaces according to angles. This should overcome problems arising
when displacing isosurfaces based on height field data. There might be
another way to do this. It wouldn't be the first time I've tried to
solve a problem the hard way ;)

I was beginning to regret having mentioned this set of macros, but maybe
  you guys will find a good use for them.

Sam