POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Dec 2009 11:51:44
Message: <4b266d20$1@news.povray.org>
>>>   I'm wondering if 15 years from now we will be using files of that
>>> size.
>> 2^40 = 1 TB (we are here already)
>
> I don't think in one *file*.  One file system, perhaps.

I was thinking in terms of available storage capacity. You can buy
multi-TB drives now for half-sane prices.

>> 2^50 = 1 PB (never yet heard of anybody except huge corporations
>> reaching this)
>
> Amazon has special rates if you're storing more than 5 PB, so it seems
> someone is.

Sure. Large comporations have reached here. Hell, if you put all the
servers in my company together, it might total almost 1 TB. What I'm
saying is that individual users typically don't store this kind of
volume. (Yet.)

>> I wonder how much data you can physically store in a given volume
>> using purely magnetic technologies?
>
> Depends how you define "volume".  Think of the Google File System,
> spread over lots and lots of disks.

I was more wondering if magnetic spinning disks are soon going to lose
the ability to increase any further in capacity, much like the way
processors can't go faster any more.