POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware : Re: VMware Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VMware
From: Invisible
Date: 14 Dec 2009 06:49:27
Message: <4b262647$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> Andrew, you should check out Virtual Box, too:
>
> http://www.virtualbox.org/

I am a sick, sick individual. I'm trying out Virtual Box by running it
INSIDE A VIRTUAL MACHINE! :-D

I created a VMware virtual machine, installed Windows, installed Virtual
Box for Windows, and then created a Windows VM inside that.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, this doesn't actually *work*. (Presumably the
CPU hardware doesn't support nested virtualisation...) But the program
gets far enough for me to see what the user interface is like and what
options are available, etc.

(I wonder... Is there some option I can flip inside VMware to make
nested VMs work? Perhaps if I turn off hardware virtualisation or
something...)

> Sun's offering of a VM. It comes in an OpenSource and binary flavor, and
> can run on a variety of host systems. I've used it several times, and it
> works nicely, and seems to run at a decent clip.

If you get the Open Source version, you have to somehow compile it
yourself. (!!) I'll have to set up a Linux VM before I can try that...