POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How much do you run? : Re: How much do you run? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much do you run?
From: scott
Date: 14 Dec 2009 02:46:56
Message: <4b25ed70$1@news.povray.org>
> Yup. At least in football, you (the player, not the team) lose the play if
> you hold up the game for an injury. You're not allowed to say "I'm hurt,
> hold on, ok, I'm ready."

In soccer I think this is totally ridiculous - sometimes you see really
stupid things like someone actually getting kicked/elbowed/whatever (where a
normal person might clutch their leg/arm/chest and say "wtf"), then there's
a two second pause until they realise they better look a bit more injured,
fall to ground and start rolling around like they've just been stabbed.
After the massive fuss is over they limp for a few steps then just carry on
running normally.

> Yeah. I've been looking at a lot of different sports lately. I like
> football best because it's very physical, yet there's also a lot of
> planning. In soccer and basketball, there's a lot of action, but I don't
> think people stop and say "Ok, in this next one, you pretend to pass to
> joe, but actually kick it backwards to Sam, who can run around to the left
> and then fire it over to Bill."  That sort of thing happens all the time
> in american football. There doesn't seem to be any "clever" in baseball,
> soccer, or basketball. Lots of quick decisions and activity, but no
> "clever." At least not that I see.

In soccer that kind of clever team planning only really happen when there is
time to stop and group together to discuss, usually before a free kick near
the opponent's goal.