POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : 'Accidental' isosurface : Re: 'Accidental' isosurface Server Time
16 Jun 2024 00:56:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: 'Accidental' isosurface
From: CShake
Date: 13 Dec 2009 22:40:49
Message: <4b25b3c1@news.povray.org>
waggy wrote:
> CShake wrote:
> [...]
>>    phin=atan2(y,z)*n;
> [...]
>>   phin=atan2(y,z)*n;
> [...]
>
> Hmm.  Perhaps these have a small error?  I think maybe they should be like this.
>
>    phin=atan2(y,x)*n;
>
> http://www.skytopia.com/project/fractal/2mandelbulb.html#formula
>
> Also, I used the same starting point, then grabbed one of the wikipedia
> references and read some more.  (I also think I found a small improvement and
> plan to write it up over the break.)

Right you are, once again one character causes all the problem... Thanks!

That fixed code takes a bit longer to run, but all told this image took
less than an hour, 800^3, n=8.0, radiosity, and the media halo uses the
same df3 (you can see how the smooth scaling works). This isosurface was
created by using function{0.06 - df3_func(x,y,z)}, the 0.06 part can
then be tuned to make the surface 'grow'.

Now I wonder if it's worth doubling the integer size in the df3 to
remove some of the grain.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'mandelbulb_df3.jpg' (79 KB)