POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How much do you run? : Re: How much do you run? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much do you run?
From: Darren New
Date: 13 Dec 2009 14:09:08
Message: <4b253bd4$1@news.povray.org>
nemesis wrote:
>>> I also tend to think they pronounce it exactly like that,
>> "Ping pong" is the chinese name for table tennis.  We use the chinese name
>> for the sport outside of china.
>
> I thought it was merely onomatopoeic.

The chinese seem to be big on names for things that are also onomatopoetic.
Also, when outside names are introduced (like "Coca cola") they tend to get
translated into written characters that have the same sound but an
appropriate meaning (like "tastes good" or some such).

It's really pretty cool.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)