POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 13 Dec 2009 11:33:48
Message: <4b25176c$1@news.povray.org>
> Ubuntu Desktop comes with all sorts of graphical programs that you may or
> may not need. It's better to install yourself what you know you will need.

I don't mind that. But a scanner program? I don't own a scanner, why
would I want a fancy GUI for controlling one?

>> I don't have any specific, repeatable examples. But, from memory, I once
>> had a KDE desktop, and I just wanted to install gnumeric (because
>> KSpread was rubbish). Watch as the dependency resolver decides I need to
>> download and install every GNOME library known to man - including the
>> GNOME sound system (something beginning with e?)
>
> Well sure. If you install a GNOME app in KDE, that will happen :) Instead of
> complaining, you should be glad all those packages get downloaded and
> installed *automatically*.

Well, you know, I'm trying to run a GNOME program that doesn't use
sound, yet I'm still forced to install the GNOME sound drivers. (And
sort out the mess when it expects a different kernel driver than the one
I'm currently using...)

Similarly, ever tried installing Linux without network support?
Apparently it can't be done.

>> Also... Debian's dselect thing is a horrid, horrid tool! >_<
>
> dselect still exists? I thought that was deprecated a few ice ages ago?

Possibly. I haven't used Debian recently.

Back when I tried Debian (potato?), the (text-mode) installer would
automatically launch dselect for you, or else install a default package
set which gives you a bash shell and a few programs like "cp", and about
nothing else.

> Try aptitude.

That's what I use with KNOPPIX, yes... SuSE gives you Yast instead. And
Gentoo uses Emerge. Whatever, insane package dependency chains are still
common.

(E.g., try installing something that demands a different version of
"glibc", and watch the anarchy that results...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/