POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware : Re: VMware Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VMware
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Dec 2009 22:23:57
Message: <4b245e4d@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 15:20:27 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>
>> Can i say "I told you so"? ;-)
>
> Can you say how to make the VMware Tools for Linux actually install? :-P

What guest OS?

> VMware doesn't recognise the KNOPPIX ISO image as a Linux install disk.
> (Presumably because it's a cloop filesystem.) It also doesn't provide
> KNOPPIX or Debian as an install option (but does provide Ubuntu,
> weirdly). I think I selected "Other Linux 4.6.x". KNOPPIX installs fine,
> and then I try to install the VMware Tools...

I'm guessing Linux.  OK - so if you install knoppix on a VMware hard
drive, go to the menu to install the VMware tools, and then look at
what's mounted in the VM; you'll see a mounted ISO has shown up and has a
tools installation script on it.

> Eventually discovered how to untar the tarball. Run the installer (Perl
> script). It runs, says it's installed, asks to run the configuration
> tool. When that runs, it tells me no precompiled binary is suitable for
> my kernel, do I want to try to build one? OK, sure... Where are the
> kernel headers? Um, no idea.

Well, that's what happens when you use a distro that's not officially
supported - if you try the openSUSE 11.1 or 11.2 LiveCDs or installers,
you should see the installation is much simpler.

Jim