POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
8 Oct 2024 19:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 12 Dec 2009 22:20:12
Message: <4b245d6c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 12 Dec 2009 17:07:18 +0000, Orchid XP v8 wrote:

> You just happen to know that there's a program for doing this and it's
> called LAME. If you didn't already know that, I estimate it would take a
> while to figure it out.

zypper se mp3

Gave me a nice list of mp3-related programs on my openSUSE system.

Scan the list, and I see "LAME - Lame Ain't an Mp3 Encoder"

I wonder what that does:

zypper if lame

Oh, look, it's "an education tool to be used for learning about MP3
encoding.  LAME is an educational tool to be used for learning about MP3
encoding.  The goal of the LAME project is to use the open source model
to improve the psycho acoustics, noise shaping and speed of MP3.  Another
goal of the LAME project is to use these improvements for the basis of a
patent free audio compression codec for the GNU project."

In other words, an encoder.

So add another 20 seconds to figure all that out. ;-)

Jim