POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
8 Oct 2024 19:16:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Nicolas Alvarez
Date: 12 Dec 2009 21:08:21
Message: <4b244c95$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> One somewhat annoying thing is that most distros will automatically
> install multiple gigabytes of "stuff", most of which I have no interest
> in. Sure, you could *try* to uninstall it all, but you still have to
> wait for it to install in the first place. *Some* distros give you a
> "minimal text install" option or similar, and if so I usually start from
> there. However...

You should try Ubuntu Server, or maybe Debian, instead of the desktop
Ubuntu. Or maybe you can tell Ubuntu not to install all the mess, I don't
remember.

Ubuntu Desktop comes with all sorts of graphical programs that you may or
may not need. It's better to install yourself what you know you will need.

> I don't have any specific, repeatable examples. But, from memory, I once
> had a KDE desktop, and I just wanted to install gnumeric (because
> KSpread was rubbish). Watch as the dependency resolver decides I need to
> download and install every GNOME library known to man - including the
> GNOME sound system (something beginning with e?)

Well sure. If you install a GNOME app in KDE, that will happen :) Instead of
complaining, you should be glad all those packages get downloaded and
installed *automatically*.

> Also... Debian's dselect thing is a horrid, horrid tool! >_<

dselect still exists? I thought that was deprecated a few ice ages ago?

Try aptitude.