POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Warp
Date: 12 Dec 2009 19:44:21
Message: <4b2438e5@news.povray.org>
> When Myst first came out on a CD, I remember thinking "so much for pirated
> games", since there was no possible way to copy an entire 670M CD.

  There was one point in history when I had the opinion that if a game takes
more than 4 floppy disks (that would be about 5.5 MB), it's way too large.

  Nowadays I'm wondering why there aren't multi-DVD games yet in the market.

> Does anyone remember thinking "32 bits will soon be rather limiting for a
> single file to fit within" before it was obvious?

  There was indeed a time when a file of over 4 gigabytes was absolutely
unthinkable. This was the time when a 350-megabyte hard drive was huge,
and average desktop computers had 4 megabytes of RAM (which costed
significantly more than the 2 GB of RAM which is standard nowadays).

  Rather curiously, we are nowadays in the same situation with respect to
64-bit computers. Hard drives are about 500 GB, RAMs are about 2-4 GB on
average, which is about the same ratio as above. And again, a file of
2^64 bytes feels basically unthinkable (although slightly less so due to
the past experience).

  I'm wondering if 15 years from now we will be using files of that size.

--
                                                          - Warp