POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:22:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Warp
Date: 12 Dec 2009 14:23:17
Message: <4b23eda4@news.povray.org>
> >   I don't see Microsoft roaming through the millions of messages
> > Microsoft-related newsgroups and online forums probably have, and
> > implementing people's suggestions. Windows is "too" popular, with "too
> > many" users, and it's owned by a single company, so it's basically
> > impossible for them to listen to all of them.

> I'm not sure of that.

  I am pretty sure.

  It's one thing that a program collects some data about how it's being used
and phones home with it (is that even legal?), and a completely different
thing when single person makes one post in a forum, causing a significant
improvement to be made to the distro. I can see the latter happening quite
often in the Linux world.

  User feedback is different. Individuals can feel like they are actually
making a difference. They don't necessarily feel like being part of a grey
mass of millions of users, which are only used to calculate averages.

> It's difficult for MS to pay attention to specific individual users, sure,
> but I think they do a better job of implementing what the majority want,

  I think some features of Vista are a sign that Microsoft is not always
so good at implementing what people want. (Yes, people wanted more security,
but not of the type that MS implemented in Vista.)

--
                                                          - Warp