POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How much do you run? : Re: How much do you run? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:21:27 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much do you run?
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 14:05:46
Message: <4b23e98a$1@news.povray.org>
Stephen wrote:
> Darren New wrote:
>>
>> We call it football here. Europeans call it "American football". It's
>> based on a game called "Grid iron", so you hear that too. Chinese call
>> it "olive ball."
>>

> I thought that it was based on rugby league.

That too. "Gridiron" refers in part to the field marked off with lots of
lines. So you can call it "gridiron football" to distinguish it from "soccer
football" or "rugby football". "American football" is what americans play.
"Gridiron" is what americans, canadians, australians, etc play. They're all
terms for rules that are approximately similar, just like you have rugby
rules for different numbers of players and such.

Certainly a lot of the rules and concepts and especially terminology comes
from rugby.  For example, it's still called a touch down in american
football even tho you don't actually have to touch it down. Altho it's
common to spike the ball when you've made a touchdown in american football.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)