POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:20:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 14:01:38
Message: <4b23e892$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
> However, most Windows users are equally clueless as well, so it
> doesn't really make much of a difference. They still have to call the
> neighbor's kid or take the machine to the shop.

I think the problem is more that it's harder to find someone with Linux
expertise living next door. :-)

I will agree I see much less random inexplicable breakage on Linux, even
with very recent versions of Windows.

And it's really only very recently that Linux has been user-friendly enough
for this to work.  A couple years ago, my dad called me on the phone asking
how to center what he wanted to print. Altho I'd never used his brand of
printer before and I didn't know what program he was trying to print from, I
confidently walked him thru setting it to centered. I knew it would be
"file->print setup->page layout->center" basically.

Five years ago (heck, even now between KDE and GNOME) you couldn't even tell
someone on Linux where to find the menu full of installed programs. You
wouldn't even be able to say "here's how you open a command-line" for
example. Let alone what you would have needed to do to help someone with
Linux back when Win98 was popular.

Don't forget we're all the early adopters here. There's *still* a lot of
people running Win98 at home.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)