POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:52 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 13:56:37
Message: <4b23e765$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (Another theory I have is this: Cursive is often used in literature for
> emphasis.

The way I learned it, it's not "cursive" but "italic."  ("Cursive" purely
means hand-written words all strung together rather than as block writing.
I'm sure you know what I mean.)

That nit aside, I was also taught that quotes go around articles, but book
titles (and foreign words) are in italic, as is emphasis. And that's
indicated in handwriting by underlining.

Thus, _this_ word will probably show as _italic_ on your screen, if you're
using something that does things like make *this* word bold.

> maybe someone got confused and thought that cursive and quotes
> are also interchangeable when denoting emphasis.)

I tend to believe it's just laziness and ignorance over an honest mistake
someone was trying not to make. But then I'm cynical. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)