POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Warp
Date: 12 Dec 2009 13:42:30
Message: <4b23e416@news.povray.org>
> The only people I've heard *advocating* Linux are system administrators and
> programmers, or people who are deploying it for price reasons.

  Which is sad, really. If a regular user who only checks his email, surfs
the web from time to time and maybe writes some letters, could be a lot
better off with Linux than with Windows. He wouldn't get the myriads of
adware/spyware, browser toolbars, email viruses, etc, the system would not
get congested with time due to every single legitimate and illegitimate
piece of software installing tons of useless (and sometimes harmful) stuff
everywhere, and the computer would overall be somewhat safer from regular
attempts at hacking (eg. by email worms, rootkits, etc). It would be cheaper
too.

  Some people argue that Linux might be ok as long as there are no problems,
but immediately when some problem happens the newbie user will be completely
clueless about what to do because solving problems in Linux requires more
expertise. However, most Windows users are equally clueless as well, so it
doesn't really make much of a difference. They still have to call the
neighbor's kid or take the machine to the shop.

  With Linux it would be much less likely be caused by a spyware or trojan.

--
                                                          - Warp