POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How much do you run? : Re: How much do you run? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:23:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much do you run?
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 13:39:33
Message: <4b23e365$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   As far as I can see, the official name is "association football" (I have
> no idea why it's named like that).

Because it's the set of rules for football standardized by the Football
Association. Read the "history" on that page. :-)  The "association" is the
group of schools that decided you're not allowed to run with the ball in
your hand. The "non-association" teams were the ones that disliked that
rule, who later went on to play rugby.

As an aside, I was amused by the names of the players in Rugby. The
offensive players have the titles
"hooker" (who hooks the ball with his foot), two "props" who prop up the
hooker, two "locks" who lock the hooker in place, two "flankers" who flank
the hooker, and "number 8."

I come to the conclusion that it's "number 8" because his job is to push on
the hooker's thighs with his shoulders, and he didn't want the title "guy
with his head between the hooker's thighs."

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)