POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How much do you run? : Re: How much do you run? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How much do you run?
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 13:06:14
Message: <4b23db96$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> In soccer, people roll around on the ground pretending to be hurt so they
>> can stop the clock long enough to catch their breath.
>
>   That's one of the reasons why I like (American) football and ice hockey
> more than soccer. The former two are very rough physical sports where tackling
> is actually part of the sport and the rules, yet players seldom pretend being
> hurt if they really aren't (in ice hockey they sometimes try to pretend they
> were tripped over by an opponent against the rules, but even then they don't
> pretend being hurt).

Yup. At least in football, you (the player, not the team) lose the play if
you hold up the game for an injury. You're not allowed to say "I'm hurt,
hold on, ok, I'm ready."  You have to leave the field until the rules say
it's OK for you to come back on, which is after the other team has had the
ball and now you get it back again.

Yeah. I've been looking at a lot of different sports lately. I like football
best because it's very physical, yet there's also a lot of planning. In
soccer and basketball, there's a lot of action, but I don't think people
stop and say "Ok, in this next one, you pretend to pass to joe, but actually
kick it backwards to Sam, who can run around to the left and then fire it
over to Bill."  That sort of thing happens all the time in american
football. There doesn't seem to be any "clever" in baseball, soccer, or
basketball. Lots of quick decisions and activity, but no "clever." At least
not that I see.

And baseball?  The game where the only two people who plays every play?
Their goal is to keep anything exciting from happening?  That's OK. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)