POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Interested in 16-bit height field functions? : Interested in 16-bit height field functions? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:14:00 EDT (-0400)
  Interested in 16-bit height field functions?
From: stbenge
Date: 12 Dec 2009 12:58:26
Message: <4b23d9c2$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I'm developing a set of macros to load and manipulate 16-bit height
field data. With them, you can import red/green 16-bit grayscale images
and manipulate them as you would any other pigment. There are functions
for finding edges (via a proximity pattern), finding angles for special
effects, and even one for exporting red/green images to a few 24-bit
image formats (to compensate for 3.7's rudimentary 16-bit support). They
can be used to add features to existing height field data or to create
new data. The pigments can be used in isosurfaces. I'm keeping my macros
easy-to-use this time :)

Unfortunately, there are limitations. For one, POV-Ray's handling of
image_maps produces strange edge artifacts, so I'm having to bring the
edges of the images down to zero. This creates a sharp drop-off at the
perimeter of the height field. It's not a feature I wanted.

Another problem is speed. A person would have to develop their height
maps in a 2D fashion to avoid high parse times, but the macros *can* be
used directly in a scene.

Considering these limitations, does anyone think they might find such an
include file useful? I'm pretty much done with most of the functions, so
all I need is one response so I can begin making example files!

~Sam