POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:22:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: Warp
Date: 12 Dec 2009 12:50:52
Message: <4b23d7fc@news.povray.org>
> In any case, I can see some wisdom in restricting the freedom of speech of
> an organization devoted to the overthrow of democratic government, religion
> or not. Which is not to say all Islam is this, but certainly much of it is.

  I wouldn't say that constructing buildings constitutes freedom of speech.
Freedom of speech means that you can express your views freely. For example,
if you want to publicly express your view that the government is corrupted
and should be overthrown, that's your prerogative. Rather ironically, being
able to express the opinion that freedom of speech should be limited or
removed does also fall into your prerogatives under freedom of speech.

  Of course as soon as you *act* your your views, or incite others to act on
them, that's when you start going over the line of what is acceptable.

  (Of course what constitutes incitement differs from country to country
and, unfortunately, *certain* type of incitement is interpreted to be more
illegal than others, even though the law itself makes no such distinction.)

--
                                                          - Warp