POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:02 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Darren New
Date: 12 Dec 2009 12:33:12
Message: <4b23d3d8$1@news.povray.org>
Orchid XP v8 wrote:
> You just happen to know that there's a program for doing this and it's
> called LAME. If you didn't already know that, I estimate it would take a
> while to figure it out.

With the Yast installer, you can search on the names of files or the
descriptions of what it does, too. Probably in the other package managers
too, but I haven't found a need to do that yet.  So, no, if you searched for
"rip mp3" you'd probably find LAME also.

> Seems the real difference with Linux is that you get the OS in the form
> of a "distrubition", which contains the OS plus an insane bonanza of
> software covering more things than any normal human could ever want.
> It's all in one place, you just gotta click it. (Or whatever.)

Yep. And if it's not already in the distribution, or you need a newer
version, you're usually *worse* off than you are with Windows.

> Windows, you have to go get all the products from different places,
> because nobody has gathered it up into one giant database for you.

They did. It's called "google". ;-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)