POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Christmas Tradition : Re: Christmas Tradition Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:16:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Christmas Tradition
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Dec 2009 12:07:14
Message: <4b23cdc2$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:

>   Btw, this process showed me again why I like Linux so much more than
> Windows.
>
>   You see, I had ripped the audio track to a wav file and wanted to convert
> to an mp3. But I didn't have LAME installed. No problem. I launched the
> "install software" app, waited for about 10 seconds it updated its indices,
> then wrote "lame" in the search field, selected it from the list and clicked
> "accept". Now I had LAME installed, and I could convert the wav file with
> a simple "lame test8.wav test8.mp3".
>
>   Overall, I estimate it took me about 30 seconds from realizing that I don't
> have LAME installed to being able to run it (most of the time going into
> waiting for the software installation app to update its indices and then
> downloading the LAME binary).
>
>   Compare that to the situation where, in Windows, you don't have any software
> to create mp3 files and you want to get one.

You just happen to know that there's a program for doing this and it's
called LAME. If you didn't already know that, I estimate it would take a
while to figure it out.

Seems the real difference with Linux is that you get the OS in the form
of a "distrubition", which contains the OS plus an insane bonanza of
software covering more things than any normal human could ever want.
It's all in one place, you just gotta click it. (Or whatever.) With
Windows, you have to go get all the products from different places,
because nobody has gathered it up into one giant database for you. (Then
again, try installing a Unix product that isn't in your distro's package
database...)

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/