POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : VMware : Re: VMware Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: VMware
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 12 Dec 2009 10:20:24
Message: <4b23b4b8$1@news.povray.org>
Jim Henderson wrote:

> Can i say "I told you so"? ;-)

Can you say how to make the VMware Tools for Linux actually install? :-P

VMware doesn't recognise the KNOPPIX ISO image as a Linux install disk.
(Presumably because it's a cloop filesystem.) It also doesn't provide
KNOPPIX or Debian as an install option (but does provide Ubuntu,
weirdly). I think I selected "Other Linux 4.6.x". KNOPPIX installs fine,
and then I try to install the VMware Tools...

Eventually discovered how to untar the tarball. Run the installer (Perl
script). It runs, says it's installed, asks to run the configuration
tool. When that runs, it tells me no precompiled binary is suitable for
my kernel, do I want to try to build one? OK, sure... Where are the
kernel headers? Um, no idea.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/