POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bounding circle intersection : Re: Bounding circle intersection Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:22:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bounding circle intersection
From: Slime
Date: 10 Dec 2009 21:59:08
Message: <4b21b57c@news.povray.org>
> If you're willing to tolerate an intersection function which has the
> possibility of error, it seems like just using bounding squares instead of
> bounding circles would give better error bounds if you expect your circles
> to often be of very different sizes.

I generally prefer bounding circle/sphere checks to bounding box checks
because box intersection tests (at least naive ones) require multiple
branches. Also, in my particular application I'm dealing with a lot of line
segments, for which I have to create the bounding boxes, which I think
requires at least two more branches (to check if x1 < x2 and if y1 < y2). Of
course I'd have to try it to be sure.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]