POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Pointless : Re: Pointless Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pointless
From: scott
Date: 9 Dec 2009 10:29:06
Message: <4b1fc242$1@news.povray.org>
> Now, if it were me, I'd say that the really *imperative* thing is that we
> need to START MAKING SALES.

First you need to figure out why you aren't making sales.  Why are your
customers choosing your competitors instead of you?  I heard/read a quote
somewhere that the only way to remain profitable over the long term is to
learn faster than your competitors.

> The *problem* is that just down the hall from me, we have 35 staff
> standing around doing nothing because WE HAVE NO WORK. I'm not sure what
> it costs to pay 35 highly skilled stuff to do nothing, but I'm guessing
> it's not cheap.

Hehe, imagine how much it costs to have multi-billion dollar factory *not*
running for a few days.  In most cases it's more profitable (ie you make a
lower loss) if you fill the factory by selling stuff below cost price
compared to not making anything at all.  It's a pretty complex task to plan
how to run a factory to maximise profit.

> WE NEED TO START MAKING SALES. I really don't understand why nobody in
> senior management seems to comprehend this. Without sales, we can't do our
> jobs. It's that simple.

Don't you have a sales/marketing department there that is on the case?