POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Wasn't someone talking about ESP here? : Re: Wasn't someone talking about ESP here? Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wasn't someone talking about ESP here?
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 Dec 2009 17:16:45
Message: <4b1d7ecd$1@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook wrote:
> Forget
> those who conveniently blame religion-in-general for holding us back a
> hundred years or so technologically--we'd be held back a thousand years
> or so if rigourous science had held sway instead.
>
> --
> Tim Cook
> http://empyrean.freesitespace.net

Actually, I would suspect that, if you where at all correct, we would be
right where we are now, or maybe a bit farther ahead. There is evidence
that some "basics" of things like Babbage like devices where being built
"by" Romans, but most where lost, or destroyed, since they ended up used
mostly in temples, and later generations made a point to destroy
anything they couldn't use for their own religion, including some of the
temples. The problem isn't that religion held us back. The problem is,
it tended to, and still does, arbitrarily declare certain things,
"outside the scope of what the god(s) want", and fights to either slow
down, halt, or outright destroy, those things. Its not just a case of
someone fudging some numbers, or hiding an idea for a generation or so,
or relatively "minor" stuff like that, its having to *rediscover*
something, because the only record that anyone even may have known about
it is an obscure reference in a book someone failed to burn, or a
corroded mass of copper gears, at the bottom of the Mediterranean, which
luckily for us, sank/fell overboard, so no one could destroy it.

There is a difference between "slowing" progress, and regressing it,
which religions are prone to do.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {