POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encrypted drive problem : Re: Encrypted drive problem Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Encrypted drive problem
From: Darren New
Date: 7 Dec 2009 11:30:19
Message: <4b1d2d9b$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:
>> So have a script they start before they turn it off at night that does
>> the backup then shuts down the machine.
>
> That's a good idea.

BTDT. :-)

>> You only have to move changed files. How much are they going to change
>> when they take it home after work and before sleep?
>
> I imagine they are only going to change a few emails, but some people
> have sevreal multi-GB pst files for Outlook which I guess would need to
> be sent to the server even if they are 99% the same?

Uhhh. Probably, yeah. I'm not sure if you're using Exchange why you'd be
storing the definitive version of .pst files on the laptop. Why not store
them on the exchange server?

The unix rsync utility has the capability of doing a checksum of the
destination file and of the beginning of the source file and only copying
the end if those two checksums are the same.  If Outlook mostly appends, you
might want to consider something like this.

> Anyway, it seems as if the volume copy solution will work.

I'm glad. It's a bit of a bugger to track down vshadow.exe, but it sounds
like you got it going. The /Z option to robocopy is handy too.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)