POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An explanation of what next_permutation does : Re: An explanation of what next_permutation does Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:24:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An explanation of what next_permutation does
From: Invisible
Date: 7 Dec 2009 04:30:38
Message: <4b1ccb3e$1@news.povray.org>
scott wrote:

> Sure, I didn't doubt there was a pretty easy explanation behind it, it's
> just [], _ and the whole statement syntax had no meaning to me before it
> was explained.  I would imagine once Andrew knew what -- and * does in C
> (I think < and ! are common enough not to need to explain?) he would
> know what the statement he highlighted meant too.  I don't see much
> difference.

I *already* know that * is pointer dereference and -- is decriment. But
now I have to sit here and wonder "is that pre-decriment or
post-decriment? And in why is it 'not (x < y)" rather than 'x >= y'?"
And similar questions. (Why "for (;;)" rather than "while true"? Is
there some difference?)

(Also... I just noticed how many one-letter variable names there are. So
much for that being a bad thing.)