POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An explanation of what next_permutation does : Re: An explanation of what next_permutation does Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:20:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An explanation of what next_permutation does
From: Darren New
Date: 6 Dec 2009 12:22:03
Message: <4b1be83b$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Can you name one language which would not benefit from a debugger (which
> you can use, among other things, to insert breakpoints, execute the program
> step-by-step and examine the values of all objects at current scope)?

No language per se, but environments. :-)

I just try to avoid languages where the primary debugging tools are outside
the language. (Altho APL is cool, I can't imagine doing a production program
in a language that needs something like OBSERVE[1], for example.)

I was pretty impressed at how VS lets you put breakpoints in code-behind
pages so you can single-step a piece of code as it processes a web request,
which is really a PITA in most of the other web-oriented languages like PHP.

So yeah, of course debuggers are *useful*. Do I want an external program to
be the *only* way to track down bugs? Nah.  C is useful too. That doesn't
mean I want C to be the only language I can use.

[1] Since Google is making it hard to find, the "observe" command sets a
flag that makes each APL statement print the line it's running, puts a
carret under the current operator it's evaluating, prints out both
arguments, and then the result, essentially single-stepping the evaluation
of a single expression with copious output.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)