POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : An explanation of what next_permutation does : Re: An explanation of what next_permutation does Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:17:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: An explanation of what next_permutation does
From: Darren New
Date: 5 Dec 2009 17:57:25
Message: <4b1ae555$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>> make a typo in a C program, the program stops and says "error:
>>> segmantation fault".
>
>> *If* you're lucky.  What's worse is when it *doesn't*. :-)
>
>   You seriously claiming that if you make a typo in Haskell, it always
> magically knows that and gives you an error message?

Me? No.

I'm saying you're lucky if when you make a mistake in C you get a segfault.
If you're unlucky, you clobber some random unrelated variable that *is*
allocated and things progress as normal except with totally undefined results.

If you make a mistake in Haskell such that the results are undefined, it
stops in a way that's probably pretty easy to debug compared to a segfault in C.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)