POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
8 Oct 2024 18:35:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: Darren New
Date: 4 Dec 2009 11:47:38
Message: <4b193d2a@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   Doesn't that make the whole point of having a constitution kind of moot?

It's much harder to change the constitution.

>   "We don't like this part of the constitution. No problem, we'll just add
> an amendment which changes it." So what's the point in having a constitution
> in the first place?

To pass a law, you need 50%+ of the House of Representatives to vote for it,
and 50%+ of the Senate to vote for it. Call it 300 people.

To amend the constitution, you need 75%+ of both halves, *and* then you ask
the states and 75%+ of the state governments also have to agree to it.

If you can't change the constitution at all, then you get things like
slavery being legal (oops) and no way to stop individual states from
continuing to do that.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)