POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.binaries.images : Tilted orbit problem : Re: Tilted orbit problem Server Time
24 Jun 2024 08:42:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tilted orbit problem
From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 4 Dec 2009 08:30:49
Message: <4b190f09$1@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot wrote:
> I have not looked at your code, but isn't it true that the *whole* saturnian
> system is tilted? I am almost sure the problem comes from the order in which
> you do the transformations. What I mean is that when applying the tilt, this
> should be done to a union of Saturn + rings + satellite. So, you have first
> to make your satellite orbit around  the planet without the tilt (and at the
> origin), and only at the end tilt the complete saturnian system (and
> translate it where it has to go). That way you are sure the satellite
> remains in its correct orbit.

Principally, you're right... but then, almost all moons' orbits are also
more or less tilted against Saturn's equatorial plane, and although
Wikipedia gives no data about the ascending nodes of these orbits, it's

would be easiest to calculate). So also with the union method, I would
sooner or later (when refining my Solar System gradually) face the same
problem - but then at least one step less to calculate!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar