POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:19:10 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: Darren New
Date: 3 Dec 2009 21:21:24
Message: <4b187224$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> OK. How about "no gay people allowed"? :-)
>
>   Is it really the majority, or only a vocal minority who proclaim that there?

The mayor of San Francisco (notoriously gay-friendly) said he'd allow gay
marriages. It went to court, got argued a bunch, the mayor got in trouble,
and the higher courts finally decided it was OK.

Then we passed a law against it, and the legislature said "that law is
unconstitutional, because we give equal rights to everyone." (At which
point, a couple thousand gay people got married.)

So the next election they actually managed to force a popular vote that
amended the constitution. 70% of the people in the state voted to change the
fundamental constitution of the state to outlaw letting gay people get
married, when they already had that right. Now they're arguing that the
change should mean the gay people already married aren't allowed to stay
married.

So, yeah, it's a pretty much my textbook example of how even "normal"
reasonable moderate religious people are evil bigoted assholes.

Texas also changed their constitution to say "A marriage is defined as
between one man and one woman", and then added a clause that said "Nothing
is allowed to be like marriage" or some such to exclude "civil unions",
having mis-worded it (should have said "Nothing *else* is allowed to be like
marriage"), so now there's a big argument in Texas over whether anyone is
allowed to be married at all. *That* all started when a gay couple that
*was* married elsewhere and had moved to Texas tried to get divorced.

Altho, honestly, I suspect many or most Americans hate *someone*
passionately enough to kick them out of the country, whether it be blacks,
muslims, gays, jews, or whatever.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)