POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:19:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: Warp
Date: 3 Dec 2009 19:31:00
Message: <4b185844@news.povray.org>
Tim Cook <z99### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> The problem, as it stands, is that if you abuse group X for long enough
> that it becomes an identity to that group, you can't just say "oh, uh,
> we're going to follow our constitution and just treat everyone equally
> now" and assume that entire group will merely pretend they haven't been
> abused.  Memories are longer than that, and people do hold grudges.

  Minorities whose ancestors have been oppressed in the past might *want*
special treatment as a kind of retroactive compensation for all the bad
things, but you can't make a right by repeating the same wrong in reverse.

  All people should be treated equally and have the same rights regardless
of what some great-grandfathers had to suffer.

> If tomorrow your multiculturalist conspiracy ended, and you were given
> the same 'special treatments' as the minorities you see as being
> favoured, would you be able to just pretend nothing had ever happened
> and not on some level treat people differently because they used to be
> part of a favoured minority?

  You might not believe me, but I honestly couldn't care less about who
belongs to what artificially constructed "minority" group, what the color
of their skin might happen to be, or what their political, religious or
sexual views might be, as long as they behave, they don't trouble others,
they do their own little part to benefit everybody and overall don't act
like jerks. You don't construct a safe and productive society by becoming
offended by everything and demanding special treatment because of irrelevant
things like your ethnic or religious background. (You also don't if you get
offended *on behalf* of whatever your pet minority might be, which is
something multiculturalists just love to do.)

--
                                                          - Warp