POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glowing texture ? : Re: Glowing texture ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glowing texture ?
From: Christian Froeschlin
Date: 3 Dec 2009 15:46:15
Message: <4b182397$1@news.povray.org>
BitViper wrote:

> Well, since the camera is outside the atmosphere, it is dark all around
> you, no ambient light blocking out the darkness nearby, as would be the
> case looking into a dark cave or building from just outside in the
> light. So I do think the night side lights would be visible

I think these light maps are generated by satellites in low
earth orbits so they essentially have a complete night without
day light in their field of view. Even so it may be a new moon
is also required to detect city lights.

Found a bit of info here:

   http://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/Lights/lights_2.php

But feel free to use artistic license if you so desire ;)