POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Encrypted drive problem : Encrypted drive problem Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:23 EDT (-0400)
  Encrypted drive problem
From: scott
Date: 3 Dec 2009 05:40:45
Message: <4b1795ad$1@news.povray.org>
So someone's laptop "broke" and won't switch on (yes I've tried everything
but nothing works) and they need some files off it.  I've got the HD out,
it's a 2.5" SATA with standard connections.  Only problem is it's encrypted
using 3rd party software.  If I connect the drive to another machine and
boot it I can get past the decryption window and it starts to boot windows
off the drive but then blue screens (I suspect due to radically different
hardware).  Trying to boot in safe mode (and all the other options from the
F8 menu) does the same.

Any ideas how I can get any files off this drive?  What I really need is
some way in the F8 window to say "now run a different windows installation
from a different drive" - that doesn't seem to be possible though.

There is an option in the encryption software screen to boot from floppy
rather than the HD, so maybe I'll end up buying a floppy drive and trying
that way.  Any ideas how to make a floppy that just runs my Vista
installation? (or gives me command line to copy files between NTFS drives?).