POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 2 Dec 2009 23:49:19
Message: <4b17434f@news.povray.org>
On 12/02/09 22:15, Darren New wrote:
> I'm just stating my understanding of the general consensus. I freely

	The only real consensus is on the mathematical formalism. It wouldn't
surprise me if most physicists I've interacted would either say "acts
like both a particle or a wave, so it's both" or simply say "it's
neither, and don't waste time thinking about it".

	Take the two Nobel laureates here:

"The 29 December 2005 edition of the International Herald Tribune
printed an article, "New tests of Einstein's 'spooky' reality", which
referred to Leggett's Autumn 2005 debate at a conference in Berkeley,
California, with fellow Nobel laureate Norman Ramsey of Harvard
University.[5] Both debated the worth of attempts to change quantum
theory. Leggett thought attempts were justified, Ramsey opposed. Leggett
believes quantum mechanics may be incomplete because of the quantum
measurement problem."

	(From Leggett's Wikipedia page). His stance is interesting, as there
was another well known physicist (not a Nobel Laureate, but a member of
the NAS nevertheless) who argued that the derivation of the Bell's
Inequalities used arguments/theorems from statistics which, while
correct, were more limited in scope than most physicists think, and he
believed it wasn't sufficient enough to completely counter the notion of
hidden variables.

	The "interesting" thing was that Leggett, who himself has issues with
the whole quantum measurement problem, thought this third guy was a
quack (on this topic, not as a physicist as a whole).

	Physicists _do_ disagree. They probably only agree that it's
irrelevant.<G>

> admit that maybe they're wrong, but when the guy who got the nobel prize
> for explaining to other theoretical pysicists how it works says "It's
> never ever a wave", I'm gonna go with his explanation. :-)

	Well, sure. And I don't doubt that many physicists including Nobel
Laureates disagree. And they're free to, because it is now in the realm
of philosophy. The theory won't change either way. I don't think any one
so far has come up with a "Well if we could show that it's REALLY a
wave/particle (whatever that means), then we'd have this phenomenon that
QM doesn't already predict".

	I guess I mean to say that I doubt you can scientifically demonstrate
(i.e. with repeatable experiments) that it is truly a particle or truly
a wave or truly both. And if you did, I bet that you merely defined
particle/wave/both to be whatever the outcome of the experiment is.

>> We had an illusion that we understood that better merely because we
>> were used to it in our daily lives. But that's just an illusion.
>
> True. It's like asking *why* there are three dimensions, or *why* you
> subtract the square of time instead of adding it in GR.

	Precisely.

>> In general, are you sure polarization cannot be described just by
>> waves? If you have waves in 3-D materials? FYI, the standard model for
>> sound waves in solids (i.e. phonons) assumes they have a polarization.
>
> I think the effect of polarization of quanta does stuff that
> polarization based entirely on the directions of waves can't do, like
> lasing and fermion exclusion.

	Except that there's nothing fundamental in physics that doesn't allow
lasing with phonons instead of photons. God simply didn't give us solids
with the proper material properties that would allow it easily, and no
one has figured out a way to engineer such solids. See

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_Amplification_by_Stimulated_Emission_of_Radiation

	The theory of phonons is almost identical to that of photons. Discrete,
energy packets of energy h*f, that can be absorbed/emitted by particles
like electrons. The math is quite similar. It's just that photons are
fundamental particles, and phonons, well, don't seem to be. They're just
atomic/ionic vibrations in a crystal lattice, and some kinds of phonons
are responsible for sound in solids.

	Don't know what you mean by fermion exclusion. Maybe it was in another
message. You mean as in the Pauli exclusion? If so, I was referring to
photons and making the analogy, where Pauli exclusion doesn't apply.

PS - Apparently some people did claim to produce a phonon laser a few
months ago. I should try to see if I can make any sense of their paper...

http://today.caltech.edu/today/story-display-blurb?story_id=38363

--
Americans are getting stronger. Twenty years ago, it took two people to
carry ten dollars' worth of groceries. Today, a five-year-old can do it.