POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Switzerland & minarets : Re: Switzerland & minarets Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Switzerland & minarets
From: somebody
Date: 2 Dec 2009 21:22:00
Message: <4b1720c8$1@news.povray.org>
"Florian Pesth" <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote in message
> Am Wed, 02 Dec 2009 16:11:42 -0500 schrieb Warp:
>
> > Florian Pesth <fpe### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> >> If it is about forbidding
> >> muslims to have a tower to signal the start of a prayer - like
> >> christians do - than yes, I think this is xenophobic and the outcry of
> >> people in whole europe is fully justified.

> >   Hence democracy is a bad thing because people can vote for the wrong
> > things.

> It's not democracy which is bad, but the people who want to get rid of it
> by abusing it.

If people are given a choice, it cannot be their fault if they don't pick
the "correct" choice. If you don't want them making the "wrong" decision,
don't present them any of the options.

The problem with democracy is that a lot of choices are too important to
leave to the general population. As a result, in democracies (constitutional
or otherwise), only the non-consequential decisions are left to the people,
and the more important a choice is, the more barriers are erected so that it
becomes harder for people to change things later.