POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Glowing texture ? : Re: Glowing texture ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 02:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Glowing texture ?
From: BitViper
Date: 2 Dec 2009 19:27:50
Message: <4b170606$1@news.povray.org>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> BitViper wrote:
>
>> Here's the result.
>
> Nice, although I think you don't really see lights on the night side
> in real life when you also have the day side within view (it's so
> much brighter).

Well, since the camera is outside the atmosphere, it is dark all around
you, no ambient light blocking out the darkness nearby, as would be the
case looking into a dark cave or building from just outside in the
light. So I do think the night side lights would be visible, however ...

I do think the the day/night line in the scene, as currently produced,
is a bit sharp, and that if properly faded, the lights near the blend
would/should indeed be at least much less visible.

The planet currently has no actual atmosphere, altho the cloud layer is
actually a separate object 30 scale kilometers above the surface. So far
my attempts to create a suitable atmosphere media have been somewhat
less than impressive. They have however actually had the above mentioned
effect of blending the day/night line.

I need to learn more about media. Along with my work on jupiters rings
(see other thread in this group), this is my first time really playing
with medias. Thanks to posts by someone else working on juipters rings
in the other thread, I managed to get a very nice ring media working,
altho it takes for freaking ever to render (1/2 hour this morning on a
2.2ghz amd phenom quad with the 3.7.34 beta). Now to figure out an earth
atmosphere.

Suggestions welcome, but I do enjoy figuring things out myself too.

bit