POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:22:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 2 Dec 2009 16:56:25
Message: <4b16e289$1@news.povray.org>
>>> That estimate is based on what....?
>> The size of Galios, Well Typed and the Haskell division of MSRC, plus a
>> few percent for random people and companies scattered around the world
>> that might also be using it.
>
> You might find it is a larger number than you think.

I can't actually think of a real reliable way to get the real number,
actually... Might be interesting.

>>> You could probably get a tech job with Nokia if you actually applied
>>> for one.
>> Do *you* have any evidence whatsoever to back up such a bold claim?
>
> I can guarantee you won't get a job there if you don't apply.

This is self-evident. But that's not the statement you made. ;-)

>> They don't let just anybody work for Nokia, after all...
>
> Right, they only let people who actually apply for jobs there work there.

Heh, that got a chuckle.

> You've written code I couldn't have written with the
> skills I've developed over the years.
>
> As for your writing - your spelling could be improved, yes - but so can
> mine, and I've been a professional writer.  Big F'ing Deal.  Nobody
> writes perfect copy 100% of the time.  I read your blog regularly, and I
> find it generally well-written and interesting.  I track it with Google
> Reader and every time you write a new post, I see it.
>
> As for your maths skills, you understand a lot more about mathematics
> than I do, and I took a couple of calculus courses in pursuit of a
> engineering degree (a degree that I didn't earn because I couldn't hack
> the integral calculus class).

I guess what it comes down to is that there isn't actually any objective
way to determine how good I am at any of these things, so we're stuck
with my subjective opinion. (And this varies depending on my mood...)

>> Erm... like I say, I don't know of anybody who had to move just to find
>> work.
>
> But you also admit that you don't know that many people.  I do know
> people who have moved for work and who have had to move for work.

Maybe it's different outside the UK or something? IDK.

>> Anyway, I'm not looking at stacking shelves just yet. I'm thinking about
>> system administration - basically, doing a job like the one I currently
>> do, but for money. Let's face it, at least I can walk into the room and
>> say "I have *actually done this* for the last 7 years. I can prove I
>> know how to do this."
>
> That's a step in the right direction, to be sure.  So apply for sysadmin
> jobs in the area - don't concern yourself too much with what the company
> does - or pick a company that works in an industry you're interested in.
> Working in IT does give a lot of flexibility because systems admin work
> is pretty much the same everywhere, but it gives you an opportunity to
> learn something about the business you work for as well.  I did sysadmin
> work in companies that did manufacturing, retail, pharmacies, benefits
> administration, and a call centers (some of the jobs covered multiple
> areas; the benefits administration company operated a call center, so I
> got to learn about how those work).  I started each of those jobs with no
> prior experience in the industry.

Well, as I said, I think this will have to wait for the new year, but
this is the next stage in my plan.

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/