POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:26:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 2 Dec 2009 16:27:14
Message: <4b16dbb2$1@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>>   That's the kind of "observation" I don't understand.
>
> They're still working on that one.  Someone recently proposed it's
> actually gravity waves causing the "collapse", which is why it doesn't
> happen until you get enough particles that gravity becomes significant.
> Or some such.
>
> That's another one of those "nobody is sure why yet" kind of things.

Ok. Already gave and answer to why this is odd, but.. Just to let you
clarify - How do you "measure" or "observe" what a particle as even
done, without colliding it with something? What process do you use that
doesn't involve a "state change" resulting directly from a scientific
instrument *causing* the state to change? There isn't one, so the
Copenhagen interpretation can't be arguing that "looking at something",
without actually, you know... "looking at it", does anything. By
definition, anything you can/do do, which looks at a particle, involves
*other particles*, so I am unclear what the heck either one of you are
claiming is different here from any other sort of quantum physics.

Again, we can't measure/observe a particle, without interacting with it,
so claiming that "changing" it by observation differs from changing it
by hitting it with another particle is just... not making any sense at all.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {