POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:53 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 2 Dec 2009 04:41:14
Message: <4b16363a$1@news.povray.org>
>>> Fact:  People get paid to write programs in Haskell.
>> Yes. In the entire world, there are approximately 50 of them, I would
>> estimate.
>
> That estimate is based on what....?

The size of Galios, Well Typed and the Haskell division of MSRC, plus a
few percent for random people and companies scattered around the world
that might also be using it.

> You could probably get a tech job with Nokia if you actually applied for
> one.

Do *you* have any evidence whatsoever to back up such a bold claim?

They don't let just anybody work for Nokia, after all...

>> I would think my level of skill and experience would be a far bigger
>> problem. It's not exactly like I live in some small village in the
>> middle of nowhere...
>
> What you've demonstrated here is a fair amount of skill.  Experience
> comes with time.  Nobody leaves school or their first job with massive
> amounts of experience.

Well Warp seems fairly convinced that I'm a rubbish programmer - and,
AFAIK, he's the only person here who writes programs for a living. My
total inability to spell properly is the stuff of legend. I'm pretty
hopeless with mathematics too... What makes you think I have skills?

> Bingo, that's my point.  Some people can't expect to be employed near
> where they live because where they live may not be near the jobs they're
> able to do.

Erm... like I say, I don't know of anybody who had to move just to find
work.

>> Or rather, "I'm looking for the wrong kind of job". Clearly there aren't
>> any programming jobs around here, so I should look for something else.
>
> That would be another change in scope, yes - but if you really want to be
> a programmer, then you can fix that requirement and change the others.
> It's the combination of "I want to program" and "I want to stay in MK"
> that seem to be the problem - so change the things that will make what is
> the overriding desire happen.
>
> If you really want to be a programmer, then fix that point.  If staying
> in MK is more important, then fix that point and get a job bagging
> groceries & stocking shelves at the local Tesco or Safeway.  Personally,
> I get the impression that you would be happier programming, but it's YOUR
> life and not mine - so if the desire to stay in MK is that strong for
> you, then stay there and find a job - any job - in the area.

Amusingly - or perhaps not? - I hear Benny's teenage son who's still at
school earns more money than me stacking shelves part-time at Tesco.
Which is slightly ridiculous, considering I spent 6 years of my life in
higher education...

Anyway, I'm not looking at stacking shelves just yet. I'm thinking about
system administration - basically, doing a job like the one I currently
do, but for money. Let's face it, at least I can walk into the room and
say "I have *actually done this* for the last 7 years. I can prove I
know how to do this."