POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:15:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 1 Dec 2009 16:51:27
Message: <4b158fdf$1@news.povray.org>
>> It's true that in very low light conditions, vision takes on a
>> "speckley" character, presumably due to some combination of small
>> numbers of photons or small numbers of individual nerve impulses
>> generating a fairly noisey signal. I'm not sure whether one single
>> photon is enough to generate a nerve action potential though; maybe it
>> takes 10 or so?
>
> Not a bad guess.
>
> http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Quantum/see_a_photon.html

Well, I have a book - a truly awful book written by a guy who thinks
that molecular biology *proves* that Darwin is wrong. The book spends
most of its time with broken analogies and flawed logic, but inbetween
is some really quite interesting stuff about various chemical processes
of the cell - including the cascade for either retinol or rhodopsin, I
forget which.

Essentially, when a single molecule of this protein absorbs a single
photon, it undergoes a structural change which causes it to react with
another protein, which causes one of the ion pumps on the cell wall to
shut off, thereby macroscopically altering the ion concentration inside
the cell, generating a minute but measurable net charge for the entire
cell, which leads to a nerve impulse being fired... or something like
that. It's *complicated*!

But anyway, I don't recall the exact pathway off the top of my head, but
it would seem that you'd need a few photons for one of them to actually
hit a rod (rather than a cone or some other random cell), in the right
place to collide with a rhodopsin molecule (instead of some other
protein floating around in the cytol), and it seems reasonable that
you'd need to switch off a few ion pumps at once to make an action
potential big enough to "fire" the neuron... so it seems reasonable that
some smallish number of photons is required. Biological systems can
become ludicrously efficient where there's some advantage to it, so it's
not going to be thousands of photons either...

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/