POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam : Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Dec 2009 13:39:16
Message: <4b1562d4@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 13:15:06 -0500, Warp wrote:

>   You seemed to disagree with the claim I made, which you were
>   responding to,
> that the lack of depth perception of people blind on one eye has been
> greatly exaggerated.

I do think that claim is inaccurate, yes.

>   Depth perception may have been diminished, and the depth of rapid
> spontaneous movement may be hard to visualize, but that's far from how
> one-eyed vision is depicted in popular culture, which is absolutely
> exaggerated. What a one-eyed man sees is more than what a camera sees
> because the brain really *adds* depth perception from secondary clues.
>
>   As I have been writing, you can test that for yourself eg. by watching
> a computer game or movie, and the effect is quite cool.

I have done so several times myself, but it seems to me that it makes a
difference whether or not your brain has been trained to make the
adjustment.  Those who are sighted in both eyes have brains that can
compensate for diminished capacities in some ways, however those who have
never had sight in one eye experience the world differently than you or I
do, so to say that their brains can compensate for this in the same way
ours can when we just close one eye is, IMHO, inaccurate.

Jim