POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam : Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:19:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Awesome. Instant 3D model entry based on a cheap webcam
From: Warp
Date: 1 Dec 2009 13:15:06
Message: <4b155d2a@news.povray.org>
> On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 11:15:11 -0500, Warp wrote:

> > Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> >> (demonstrated to me several times when I tossed car keys to him and he
> >> could never tell how far away they were).
> >
> >   The brain cannot adapt to such a small object making such a rapid
> >   movement
> > with one eye only. The visual clues are too subtle and too fast.

> Yes, that was my point.

  You seemed to disagree with the claim I made, which you were responding to,
that the lack of depth perception of people blind on one eye has been
greatly exaggerated.

  Depth perception may have been diminished, and the depth of rapid
spontaneous movement may be hard to visualize, but that's far from how
one-eyed vision is depicted in popular culture, which is absolutely
exaggerated. What a one-eyed man sees is more than what a camera sees
because the brain really *adds* depth perception from secondary clues.

  As I have been writing, you can test that for yourself eg. by watching
a computer game or movie, and the effect is quite cool.

--
                                                          - Warp