POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 1 Dec 2009 12:18:00
Message: <4b154fc8$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:50:25 +0000, Invisible wrote:

>>> If I wanted to get a job where I get paid to write stuff in Haskell,
>>> that would be an unrealistic aim.
>>
>> Wrong.  If you wanted to get a job where you are paid to write stuff in
>> Haskell in an area where there are no such jobs, *that* would be
>> unrealistic.
>>
>> Fact:  People get paid to write programs in Haskell.
>
> Yes. In the entire world, there are approximately 50 of them, I would
> estimate.

That estimate is based on what....?

>>> If I wanted to work for Nokia, that would be an unrealistic aim.
>>
>> Nonsense.  Nokia has jobs that run the entire range of skillsets.
>
> OK, so I could probably get a job as a receptionist for Nokia. I guess I
> should have specified more clearly...

You could probably get a tech job with Nokia if you actually applied for
one.

>>> If I wanted to earn £25,000 a year, that would be an unrealistic aim.
>>
>> Total bollocks.  If you wanted to earn £25,000 for sitting on your arse
>> and doing absolutely nothing, *that* would be an unrealistic aim.  It
>> *might* be unrealistic to look for jobs in your area that pay that
>> well, too.  But finding a job that pays that outside of MK?  Yeah, you
>> could do that, but you're not willing to look outside the immediate
>> area.
>
> I would think my level of skill and experience would be a far bigger
> problem. It's not exactly like I live in some small village in the
> middle of nowhere...

What you've demonstrated here is a fair amount of skill.  Experience
comes with time.  Nobody leaves school or their first job with massive
amounts of experience.

>>> But I don't see why getting a job somewhere near to where I live would
>>> be an unrealistic aim.
>>
>> Is there 100% employment where you live?
>
> Is there 100% employment anywhere in the entire country? (Or indeed, in
> *any* country, anywhere in the world?) Of course not.

Bingo, that's my point.  Some people can't expect to be employed near
where they live because where they live may not be near the jobs they're
able to do.

>> so that being the
>> case, sure, it's perhaps somewhat unrealistic to think there are more
>> jobs than employees in your immediate area.
>
> Of course, because if an area doesn't have 100% employment, then it is
> impossible to get a job. Oh, wait... so how come people all over the
> world do exactly this every single day?

People all over the world also are unemployed.  And some people move to
where the job is.

>> The fact that you've not
>> found anything in the immediate area would seem to belie that fact, in
>> fact - and so without expanding your search to a broader area and
>> broader selection criteria would be the logical next step.
>
> Or rather, "I'm looking for the wrong kind of job". Clearly there aren't
> any programming jobs around here, so I should look for something else.

That would be another change in scope, yes - but if you really want to be
a programmer, then you can fix that requirement and change the others.
It's the combination of "I want to program" and "I want to stay in MK"
that seem to be the problem - so change the things that will make what is
the overriding desire happen.

If you really want to be a programmer, then fix that point.  If staying
in MK is more important, then fix that point and get a job bagging
groceries & stocking shelves at the local Tesco or Safeway.  Personally,
I get the impression that you would be happier programming, but it's YOUR
life and not mine - so if the desire to stay in MK is that strong for
you, then stay there and find a job - any job - in the area.

Jim