POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Trivial trigonometry : Re: Trivial trigonometry Server Time
9 Oct 2024 02:23:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trivial trigonometry
From: Warp
Date: 1 Dec 2009 12:13:56
Message: <4b154ed3@news.povray.org>
> But seriously, for there to be an interference pattern, something has to
> interfere with something else, right?

  If the photon is a wavefront which traverses from the emitter to the
detector, passing throug the slits splits it into two wavefronts, which
interfere with each other. When the wavefront collides with the detector,
it collapses back into a particle.

  I'm not saying that is what happens. I'm just saying it's exactly as
plausible as eg. a particle being in many places at the same time or
affecting another particle instantly.

>  As soon as you interfere with the
> photon, the pattern goes away.  Indeed, the pattern is *only* there exactly
> to the extent that there is *no* interference.

  So why does the interference pattern appear? Is nature trying to confuse
us to make it look exactly like it was a wave, without it being so?

--
                                                          - Warp