POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Operation downfall : Re: Operation downfall Server Time
5 Sep 2024 11:26:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Operation downfall
From: Invisible
Date: 1 Dec 2009 04:50:25
Message: <4b14e6e1$1@news.povray.org>
>> If I wanted to get a job where I get paid to write stuff in Haskell,
>> that would be an unrealistic aim.
>
> Wrong.  If you wanted to get a job where you are paid to write stuff in
> Haskell in an area where there are no such jobs, *that* would be
> unrealistic.
>
> Fact:  People get paid to write programs in Haskell.

Yes. In the entire world, there are approximately 50 of them, I would
estimate.

>> If I wanted to work for Nokia, that would be an unrealistic aim.
>
> Nonsense.  Nokia has jobs that run the entire range of skillsets.

OK, so I could probably get a job as a receptionist for Nokia. I guess I
should have specified more clearly...

>> If I wanted to earn £25,000 a year, that would be an unrealistic aim.
>
> Total bollocks.  If you wanted to earn £25,000 for sitting on your arse
> and doing absolutely nothing, *that* would be an unrealistic aim.  It
> *might* be unrealistic to look for jobs in your area that pay that well,
> too.  But finding a job that pays that outside of MK?  Yeah, you could do
> that, but you're not willing to look outside the immediate area.

I would think my level of skill and experience would be a far bigger
problem. It's not exactly like I live in some small village in the
middle of nowhere...

>> But I don't see why getting a job somewhere
>> near to where I live would be an unrealistic aim.
>
> Is there 100% employment where you live?

Is there 100% employment anywhere in the entire country? (Or indeed, in
*any* country, anywhere in the world?) Of course not.

> so that being the
> case, sure, it's perhaps somewhat unrealistic to think there are more
> jobs than employees in your immediate area.

Of course, because if an area doesn't have 100% employment, then it is
impossible to get a job. Oh, wait... so how come people all over the
world do exactly this every single day?

> The fact that you've not
> found anything in the immediate area would seem to belie that fact, in
> fact - and so without expanding your search to a broader area and broader
> selection criteria would be the logical next step.

Or rather, "I'm looking for the wrong kind of job". Clearly there aren't
any programming jobs around here, so I should look for something else.